Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I'm sorry.


I think the real story is not my apology to all moms, it's that I am actually posting within one week.

So you know how going into parenting you thought you would do things different? Like letting your children only watch educational TV, or making sure your child gets some sort of “educational” time with you each day. Or how about keeping a log and photobook of the many milestones your child hits. And this one WAS a must of mine—not looking like a typical mom (hair in pony, sweats, t-shirt, roots showing, etc.).

Well, hmmm. So far these dreams just are not working out for me. Being a stay at home mom for the past nine weeks have been the hardest thing I have ever done. I have gained a whole new respect for ALL parents, but especially for stay at home moms.

Therefore I have a lot of apologizing to do…

First to my mom. Oh, I am sorry for so many things. First, I’m sorry for being such a mean child on so many levels. Specifically about your clothes (you know, the furry cat sweater). I now understand why you rarely updated your wardrobe. Just getting yourself ready is a chore when you have a child, don’t even mention trying to look tasteful. Second, I regret not taking in your wealth of knowledge. You would constantly try to help me with my homework, boyfriends, hairstyles, etc. I think much heartache would have been saved if I would have just listened. Well mom, I think my time is coming. I am in for it.

Next, I’d like to apologize to my dad. As a teenager I wore three outfits a day, no joke. My dad never complained of the amount of laundry I produced, but I can now understand what he was going through because even a two month old produces more laundry than I ever wanted to do.

Now to my friends who have kids. I want to apologize for (secretly) judging you about the amount of kid-friendly plastic crap that invades your homes. Yes, Hadley is only two months old. But our home might as well be a Fisher Price store. Sorry friends. Oh, and an apology for the eyebrow raise while being at your house witnessing the mindless cartoons you let your children watch. I have to admit that I have put my two month old in front of Scooby Doo for a full hour. I too mindlessly watch Scooby Doo for the full hour with a cup of coffee folding the loads of laundry that Hadley produces. Maybe someday Hadley can help me fold the laundry and I can educate her on the importance of only wearing one outfit a day. See, I am still getting my “educational” time in with her.

And finally, a big apology to my husband. Anyone who knows David understands that he is extremely easy going – almost to a fault. I, being a crazy uptight new mother, thought this was going to be a problem. I thought we needed to constantly entertain, take care of, and even hold our new little babe. But David, in his nonchalant even-tempered way, has shown me that my overbearing behavior is not necessary and even aggravates little Hadley. She actually enjoys being independent ... well sometimes (he, he, he).

So I get it now. I was (and sometimes still am) a foolish new parent who thought I had all the answers. Please go ahead and say it: “I told you so”. I deserve it.

If you have a moment - because we have so much spare time in our days- read The Test of Time, an article that claims stay at home moms have about 30 hours of LEISURE time every week... hmmm.

Hadley loves to nap in her Boppy, in the chair, looking at the flowers, with no blanket on her. I know, not safe.

10 comments:

Leigh and Craig said...

You're hilarious! She is such a doll and so are you. I'm so glad you are a mommy and I love the name Hadley. What a cute room! At least you keep up on the laundry. I ignore it for a week and all the sudden there's a mountain of clothes coming from all directions. Good luck to you!

KelliJamison said...

Finally, an honest blog post! Everyone else makes it seems so easy, so I'm glad you're shedding some light! I often feel really badly about how I treated my mom too (and your mom for that matter..."hey Patti/Mom, is it windy out?" "How are those potato chips?", but they always say that payback's a bitch, so I'm sure Hadley will repay you for everything.

You're doing great...keep it up!

Nick and Brittany said...

I second the "yay" on an honest blog! Sometimes I question myself over and over if I'm doing something wrong because I get so irritated that I seem to be the only one having a rough day. I too let Avery watch tv. Every.Day. We watch the Sprout channel. If you haven't heard of it, look into it. It's 20 minute programs of "educational" shows. Ie: Sesame Street, Bob the Builder, The Wiggles, etc. It gives me a second to drink my coffee and wake up. =)

You are such a darling mom and your nursery is adorable and so is your baby!!! Next time you come to Slc, let's organize a playdate.

I love your blog, so keep the posts coming! You're doing a fabulous job at being a mommy!

smargaret2003 said...

Lindsay, AMEN being a SAHM has to be the toughest job, working three days a week is cake it's being home with Easton for four days straight that is challenging and trust me it doesn't get any easier! I have a whole new respect for those mom's who can takle one. I love Hadley and your doing such a wonderful job. Here is to pony tails, jammies and the endless amounts of coffee we drink. Cheers!

Cody and Denise Valdez said...

Letting them watch TV isn't so bad. Boston has learned lots of spanish by watching Dora and Diego. Sometimes those shows help me keep my sanity. Everyone deserves a break. Hadley is adorable and just remember that it will get easier. I remember hoping someone would visit me so I could shower. Yikes! Now I have two and I don't know how but the whole house will get cleaned & laundry done before Cody gets home. I may not be showered but hey, it was a cleaning day.;-)

MediocreMama said...

What you need are some PINK sweat pants. Somehow I feel sort of sassy and less frumpy when wearing such a loud color day after day. And I totally alternate between a bun and a ponytail. No slumps for this mom!

Wait until you have a two year old and can't count how many times you've started Robin Hood over for the day. Hey, it was raining!


I think the hardest thing about being a mom is the guilt. Guilt if you're home but don't think you do enough, guilt if you work and wonder if you should be home, guilt if the frozen dinner will kill them or for putting them to bed an hour early. Just because. Take comfort that we all feel like you. Glad you have a laid back husband. I do, too, and it has helped me relax a lot. You're doing great -- enjoy Scooby Doo.

Erika + Sean said...

Love it! I think ALL moms feel this way - during pregnancy we all had such amazing plans...then came that baby and it all changes. No matter what you do, it will be perfect for Hadley because you're her mom and you know what's best. Keep up the blog posts - we love hearing what's going on with you and that DARLING baby! (Plus, it's a nice way to feel "connected" when you're home all day.)

p.s. I second Britt: The Sprout channel is AWESOME!

Leah Miller said...

HAHA!! I am totally laughing here. I used to always judge mom's who didn't wipe snot or drool off of their kids face, but now that I am a mom I MAYBE think about wiping faces ONLY IF we are going out in public. AND even THEN I only sometimes do it. I can't wait to read more parenting posts from you. Oh, one more thing...maybe you should borrow your mom's furry cat sweater. I'm sure you would wear it well. :-)

Sarah Chapman said...

There is a good reason why English wasn't my subject. You really know how to describe a true mother. I tend to write but it just doesn't come out the way it should. Great post!

kelgrandy said...

Lindsey- I had so much fun reading your blog (I found it through Leah's) and DIED laughing at this post in particular! I remember biting my tongue before Leah had kids when she'd spout off about all the things she was and wasn't going to do. Now that she's joined the world of mothers she's done a 360. As have we all. And if it makes you feel any better, it's 1:00 where we live and I've only just gotten out of the shower. The towel is still on my head. I should be making myself look glamorous, but I'm wearing sweats and thinking that if I do get around to blow drying my hair (after cleaning up all the messes) it will probably end up in a ponytail anyhow :) Keep it up- you are doing a great job. That you have such a great sense of humor says a lot. Op, baby #2 is crying. . . so much for blow drying my hair :)

Kelley (Roberts) Grandy