Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Back in the classroom...

Well, I am back at work. And, naturally, my six-year-olds are very curious about babies now -- where they come from, how they're made, and today's topic: how babies get out of their mom's bellies.

"Mrs. Fox, how did your baby get out of your belly?" I quickly told this student to ask her parent when she gets home.

Then another student chimed in and said "they just fall out." When I heard this I decided to keep my mouth shut and let the students converse for a bit (I needed some humor).

I heard one student say the mom's belly is cut open, and another one say that it was like going to the bathroom.

But then one boy, who has seen a lot in his life, said "the mom pushes the baby through her belly button."

It's these conversations that make being back to work a little bit easier.

3 comments:

MediocreMama said...

That is really really funny. Teaching CAN be very entertaining like when you're eight months pregnant and one of your sophomores informs you that, "Your belly is getting bigger but so is your butt."

Erika + Sean said...

That is awesome! I can't imagine what I would say..yikes! Love the belly button one. Kids are so creative.

Good luck at work. Hope you and the little one adjust quickly. ;)

smargaret2003 said...

Thanks for giving me a laugh today that is awesome, I would have died laughing!