Sunday, July 19, 2009

I think I'll stick to fiction!

Summertime is great for catching up on reading! I have devoured several "mom" and "baby" books this summer.




But I've been asking myself "Do these books really help?" Because I feel more overwhelmed than knowledgeable. For example, should I let the baby cry, or go to her side? Let her develop her own sleep patterns, or try to establish one for her? Go back to work at six, eight or twelve weeks? What about our dog Albert? He is just as much my baby as this new baby is. And breastfeeding, where do I even begin? What kind of pump? Doesn't it hurt? How do you know how much milk the baby is getting? Oh and immunizations and vaccines. Wow! Now that was a scary book. Then there is all the CRAP that these books say goes with the baby. I think if I look at buying another plastic, yet necessary, gizmo, my husband's patience will run out.

I am sure these books have helped many new moms, but I am going to lay off them for awhile. I was very happy with the way my parents raised me and I will use that as my backbone to get through this thing called "motherhood".

So I put the mommy-to-be books away for now, and pulled out one of my favorites to finish off the summer...




Did you know it is coming to theaters August 14th?

2 comments:

Sydney O'Dear said...

Lindsay!!! It's Sydney!

Wise decision about sticking to fiction. And telling Hadley/Ella to forget about pink. I can already tell you'll be a good mom :-).

You might have heard, but Amy is driving to Hannibal and dropped by for dinner. She told me about your blog so here I am! I'm so excited I can keep up with you guys now!

When I heard you would be having a girl I was sooo happy! Amy told me about the name debate, but I love both Hadley and Ella. Good choices.

You have quite the baby bump! Man i can't wait till November.

Anyway, give my love to David and Albert and Hadley/Ella, of course!

xoxo Syd

MediocreMama said...

So true, so true...I did the same thing. Here's the great news -- you have instincts that will kick in gradually. And newborns sleep about 23 hours a day so you'll have time to figure out the rest as you go.

I worried about schedules and feeding and all that, too. The truth is newborns just require a lot of love and snuggling, milk and sleep. Schedules are not necessary for a few months so you can relax and just enjoy her!

I want to read that book as well...I just saw the preview for the movie but would rather read the book first. Let me know what you think...