Friday, July 16, 2010

Do milestones really matter?

I think my baby pretends to be an immobile, helpless human being. Really. She secretly knows that she can get anything by laying on the floor and screaming. Then her mom will come to her rescue and do whatever it is that is sooo urgent.

I know this because I caught her drinking from her sippy cup. The same sippey cup that she refuses to hold. The same sippy cup that she won't suck from. And the same sippy cup that leaks all over her and makes her sticky because she will not hold or suck from it.

Yes, she was drinking from it and was caught in the act. Hadley has not figured out that I can see her in the back seat of the car. She is STILL reverse facing (another milestone she missed too, I'm sure) and the mirror attached to her seat lets me see her. I peeked at her and you better believe she was holding up that sticky cup and sucking from it like a pro.


Once we got home I handed it to her and wouldn't you know, she was back to her helpless ways.

This girl is smart. All you moms can have your baby milestones! Hadley has missed a lot of them because she is actually very smart. She knows she gets more done for her when she misses all her marks.

This article that points out that babies are not as innocent as they pretend to be really hit home for me.

5 comments:

KelliJamison said...

That's really funny...just wait until she's 15. Everything we've done to our parents is going to come back and haunt us:)

MediocreMama said...

I think milestones are stupid, too. They're for those parents in the park who like to say, "Sooooooo, is HE talking? Awww, yes, ours started at about two months and now enjoys chapter books and poetry. And they're the same age!"

Blah.

You're funny.

Erika + Sean said...

Milestones are LAME! Every baby is SO different...only Mom knows best. And, it is so true that they are smart enough to trick us, even at such a young age. I'm scared for the teen years. :)

diana said...

You are so funny. And she is SO CUTE! I love those big, blue eyes!

(I decided to make up for my blogging drought with a slew of random posts in a row.)

Leah Miller said...

haha. I like Hadley.